This post outlines how my own mastermind group was created and operates. If you have a desire to begin a mastermind group an would like to have an expert help your group, I offer mastermind coaching here.
Positive Progress Mastermind Group Guidelines
The Positive Progress Mastermind was begun to have the accountability and support of a an intimate group of bloggers/online entrepreneurs who share the same goals: To grow as a writer, blogger, business person and daughter of God. the term ‘Positive Progress’ was chosen as it reminds us that there is always another step we can take or skill to learn, and we desire to be teachable and always willing to take the next step to learn and grow. We recognize that even the small steps are progress when in the right direction.
What Positive Progress Mastermind is Not
Positive Progress Mastermind is not a social club or a support group. Social Clubs offer fellowship and entertainment. Support groups offer companionship and encouragement for where you are. A mastermind group, however, is about moving forward, challenging you and helping you to achieve a goal or dream. To sustain forward motion, all members must be committed to the effort to grow personally and to call each other onward and forward. We understand that growth often comes in spurts or seasons, though, so only a complete lack of participation in or calling away from the areas of writing, blogging, or online ministry, would make one a poor fit for this group.
What Positive Progress Mastermind is
Positive Progress Mastermind is a distinctly Christian group. We believe we are saved by grace through faith in Christ alone, who died for the forgiveness of our sin. We are also a non-denominational group, therefore our individual faith traditions are not a matter of debate. As Christians, our advice should be consistent with Biblical principles.
With God all things are possible.
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. Mark 9:23
10 He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) 11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds[c] and teachers,[d] 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood,[e] to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love. Ephesians 4:10-16
Believing that God has equipped each of us with differing gifts that we may edify one another, the members of this group will support one another’s individual online pursuits (writing, blogging, business, ministry, social media, technology, etc.) as well as off-line endeavors (writing, publishing, business, speaking, ministry, etc.) through oﬀering feedback, constructive criticism, encouragement, ideas, resources, prayer and networking opportunities.
Group Actions and Participation
As a mastermind group, we do the following:
We meet weekly via the internet for one hour to…
• Brainstorm about blogging/business ideas
• Discuss ways to use social media
• Share goals, strategies, victories and defeats
• Offer accountability
• Ask for help in brainstorming, and promoting posts or products
• Meet together IRL (in real life) and at conferences, when possible.
• Share with each other links to resources, opportunities, events, and articles that might benefit each other.
• Pray for each other’s needs, both inside and outside of the online world
Participation in our group is voluntary. Everyone grows in different areas and at different rates and we each have individual goals and callings. Just keep in mind that your level of growth will mostly likely correspond to your level of involvement.
Other optional opportunities to interact include but are not limited to:
- Daily interaction in our secret Facebook group
- Twitter List and hashtag #ProgressMM
- Reading and providing feedback on each other’s blogs/sites
- Contributing to the Best of Positive Progress group board on Pinterest
The great thing about a closed group is that we can share everything from personal struggles to brainstorms in a safe. It is a private place in which to receive advice and encouragement from people we know we can trust with fragile things. For us to wholly benefit from this aspect of a mastermind group, we must respect each other’s privacy in these ways…
- Topics and ideas discussed in the group are to be kept private within our group, with the mindset that “If it’s not my idea/story, I won’t be the one to make it public”. This includes prayer requests, blog updates, launch dates, post ideas, product development, and offline activities.
- Members may publicly quote something said on the private FB group ONLY after requesting permission.
- Though this is a closed group, we do desire that others be aware of and have a chance to experience the support and accountability of a mastermind group. Therefore, public acknowledgement of membership to this mastermind group should always be paired with a link to how your readers can start their own mastermind group: http://ComoBlog.com/mastermind/
Note: Violation of privacy is terms for dismissal from group.
The Positive Progress Mastermind Commitment:
We are personally and corporately committed to providing encouragement and accountability to each other with Christ-like love.
- We willingly serve the readers who come to our ‘table’. “Always be eager to practice hospitality.” Romans 12:13b
- We pursue growth through serving, rather than self-promotion. “Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.” Philippians 2:3
- We don’t use controversy to get attention for our blog and our cause. “Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.” Ephesians 4:31
- We don’t judge others by their stats or appearance, but value our fellow bloggers/entrepreneurs as God does, focusing on their hearts. “For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7
- We are good stewards of the gifts God has give us, willing to grow as He leads. “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10
- If a problem with a member arises, members commit to working through their issues privately, one-on-one.“Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor, for we are members on of another.” Ephesians 4:25b
- We hold each other accountable to a high standard of interaction on social media. “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29
- We use our writing to build up, encourage, and inspire, never to tear down. “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.” Ephesians 4:29
- We keep our call to write in line with our other roles and commitments, not letting our blog detract from family and in real life relationships. “For if a man does not take care of those who are his own, especially those who are members of the household of faith, this one has renounced the faith and is worse than those who are unbelievers.” 1 Timothy 5:8
- We pursue excellence in writing, communicating and product production, believing our words to be part of our testimony as followers of Jesus Christ. “…make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.” 2 Peter 1:5-7 “Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, Do all to the glory of God.” I Corinthians 10:31
- Meetings will start promptly.
- Open with prayer.
- Each member has 5-15 minutes to share triumphs for the week, what they are working on and goals, problem areas for the next week.
- Ideally, one member will be in the “hot seat” and will have the floor for 25-30 minutes for the topic of her choice. (This will be on a rotation, so each one gets a turn approx. every 4-5 weeks.) If it’s your week for the hot seat, you may email others the topic and/or reading material in advance.
- Last few minutes reserved for wrap up.
Leadership and Commitment
- The Positive Progress Mastermind group is managed by Katie Hornor, who is be responsible for organizing the weekly conference calls.
- However, leadership is shared by all members who may propose suggestions for the group and new ideas.
- If a member will not make a scheduled meeting, she will let the others know in advance.
- If a member feels the group is not a good fit, she will inform the other members about stepping out, not simply avoid communication.
This group is currently closed to new members.
(Thank you to Trina Holden for her inspiration for these guidelines.)